Thursday, August 22, 2013

Russian Mushroom Salad


My husband and I were visiting my friends in Moscow this year, and they treated us to this amazing salad.  I had to write down the recipe because it was so good and simple. I'd never had it before I moved to the States. This is now my absolutely favorite Russian salad. Serve it as a main dish for lunch or as a side.

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 lb fresh cremini mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can red beans, drained
  • 1 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise (I use Veganaise) 
  • salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. On medium low saute onions for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until moisture is evaporated and mushrooms are cooked (about 10 minutes). You should hear a lot of sizzling. Season to taste. Let it cool.

Combine mushrooms with corn, beans, pickles, and mayo. Season to taste. Serve as a side dish or take it in a lunch box to work! It's yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment