Sunday, January 11, 2015

Meatless Meatballs


My husband and I have been sick, so I had no motivation to cook. I didn't even go grocery shopping for anything specific this week. Then suddenly I got hungry and wanted to cook. At my disposal were only the ingredients that I already had in my pantry and fridge. The result- the most delicious meatless meatballs! When I come up with a recipe, I usually have to test it a few times. This one was perfect from the first attempt.

The "meat" balls are full of flavor and they hold their shape perfectly thanks to the walnuts, chickpeas, and eggs. They could be used in meatball sandwiches or served smothered with marinara sauce. They are also an excellent way to sneak in some broccoli without grossing out your husband or kids.

Because I get bored too fast, I have to constantly entertain myself by coming up with new eating ideas. My new project is to use a fruit or vegetable that I usually don't use in my cooking at least once a week. This week's random choice fell on rutabagas! I had a lot of hope for this comely root, but I have to say that it wasn't my favorite. I made it mashed with thyme and buttermilk, but I made a mistake of adding a dash of cardamom. It turned out weird hence I'm not posting the recipe here. Now I know why it's famous in Europe as the vegetable of last resort! Apparently, most people eat it only when they have nothing else to eat :) No offense, rutabaga!

Makes 20 meatballs


  • 2 cups broccoli, steamed
  • 3/4 cups walnuts
  • 1 cup chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, tightly packed
  • 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • salt and pepper to taste


1. Make sure you have steamed broccoli and it's ready to go. About 3 cups fresh broccoli make 2 cups steamed. Preheat oven to 350F. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and lightly spray it with cooking spray.

2. Process walnuts until smooth and move them to a mixing bowl. Process chickpeas until smooth and add them to walnuts. Process parsley and add it to walnuts and chickpeas. Mix everything well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until the mixture is even and smooth.

3. With your hands form 20 meatballs, pressing them to make sure they will hold their form. Place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment