Monday, May 23, 2016

Meatless Meatloaf

 
Derek told me that it was a blasphemy to make meatloaf without meat, but I did it anyway! This is a great quick dinner packed with protein and flavor. I've actually only had meatloaf once in my life, but the idea of simplicity of this dinner dish stuck with me. I was determined to make a meatless meatloaf that I could turn to on busy weeks.
 
Serves 6
 
  • 1 cup uncooked lentils
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • salt and black pepper to taste
 
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cook lentils according to package instructions until soft. Drain extra water. Partially mash lentils and set aside.
 
2. In a medium bowl mix lentils, onion, bell pepper, oats, and cheese. Add eggs, spaghetti sauce, and seasonings. Mix well.
 
3. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Transfer the mixture into the pan and pack it well.
 
4. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top of the meatloaf is golden brown. Run a sharp knife around the edges and turn the loaf onto a serving plate. Enjoy with a salad or a side dish of wholesome grains!

Adapted from this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment